Disney and Lucasfilm have announced that J.J. Abrams is set to direct Star Wars: Episode VII. J.J. Abrams is was the involved in popular franchises like Star Trek, Super 8, and Lost. Star Wars: Episode VII is slated for release in 2015. For Star Wars fans I think this great news. Hopefully Star Wars: Episode VII will be the best Star Wars film to date.
Back in November J.J. Abrams denied that he was directing the film:
“Star Wars is one of my favourite movies of all time. I frankly feel that – I almost feel that, in a weird way, the opportunity for whomever it is to direct that movie, it comes with the burden of being that kind of iconic movie and series.”
He added, “I was never a big Star Trek fan growing up, so for me, working on Star Trek didn’t have any of that, you know, almost fatal sacrilege, and so, I am looking forward more than anyone to the next iterations of Star Wars, but I believe I will be going as a paying moviegoer!”
As of January J.J. Abrams has had a change in heart and is set to direct Star Wars: Episode VII.
J.J. Abrams will direct the next “Star Wars” film for Disney, taking stewardship of one of Hollywood’s most iconic and lucrative film franchises, an individual with knowledge of the production told TheWrap.
Ever since Disney bought Lucasfilm last year and announced it would make new “Star Wars” films, fans, members of the media and industry executives have speculated about which director would take the job. Abrams’ name always came up, but he told Entertainment Weekly in November that he wasn’t going to take the job.
He did say “Star Wars” was the first movie that “blew my mind” in terms of special effects.
Lucasfilm Chief Kathleen Kennedy has been courting Abrams, one of the most successful directors and producers in Hollywood — and a man beloved by fanboys. He runs one of the industry’s top production companies, Bad Robot, and created or co-created television franchises like “Lost,” “Fringe” and “Alias.” He has also directed film spectacles “Mission: Impossible III,” “Star Trek” and “Super 8.”
The lure of the Jedi was too strong, and it will no doubt complicate his relationship with Paramount, where Bad Robot is a top supplier. Abrams has been feverishly working on “Star Trek Into Darkness,” his second Star Trek film since he rebooted the franchise in 2009. “Into Darkness,” still in post-production, opens May 18.
Though he has several producing jobs in front of him, Abrams had been uncommitted as a director. He will have to jump right into “Star Wars,” which Disney has slated for a 2015 release. “Little Miss Sunshine” screenwriter Michael Arndt is penning the script.
Reached by TheWrap, Lynne Hale, spokeswoman for Lucasfilm, declined to comment immediately. Neither CAA, which represents Abrams, nor Bad Robot immediately responded to requests for comment.
I’m excited for 2015 and hopefully Star Wars: Episode VII will be the best Star Wars ever! Do you think the new Star Wars film should go with a PG-13 rating?